Monday, January 30, 2006

 

The 2005 numbers are released!




I have just added another "first" to my life's list today. For the first time ever, Refuge Farms has released the previous year's donations and operating expenses on the world-wide web for the entire world to see! It's a bit scarey, I must tell you! I feel a little naked out there, but I know this is a critical piece of the puzzle that all involved with THE FARM must have access to.

The numbers are not why we exist, truly. But those numbers are how we exist. I have told you previously that Refuge Farms is not a fancy or frilly place. That we are down-to-earth and practical here. That we don't throw anything away - everything has a use around here! There is no waste at Refuge Farms. The numbers will show you just that.

In 2005, THE FARM experienced a full and active year with new faces and new Friends being brought in to the fold. The already existing circle of Friends remains supportive and for that, I must simply and honestly say I am grateful. Most sincerely. Straight from my heart.

The volunteers supported an enormous array of fund-raisers, each of which is detailed in those numbers. We sold everything from chocolate bars and pies to antiques and perennials! We talked to anyone who would listen about The Herd and our mission of healing. We kept our eyes open - and still do! - for any opportunity to expand our reach.

I must say, 2005 was exhausting for me! Not only was there just the normal care of up to 18 special needs horses, but this group of volunteers kept me running! My hand is still cramped from creating the TO DO lists! My head is still swimming from trying to absorb their ideas and comments! And my face is still aching from the laughter of just being with them and working side-by-side with them! It is a pure joy to be supported by this giving crew. If I had been enveloped by such enthusiasm and willingness to work in my corporate career, I would have had to nudge Bill Gates over a touch!

Yes, we begin 2006 with an amount still payable for 2005 services and goods. Yes, we must work hard to get to the even point. Yes, it seems a large and daunting task. It is! But no one is shrinking from the challenge. No one is saying "I quit" or "I'm done". Everyone shows up and continues to contribute in the way most fitting for them. What a glorious collage of energy there is on this little piece of land!

What is not reflected in those numbers is the spirit, the honest and absolute caring, the respect, and the hugs of everyday life at Refuge Farms. Hugs between humans. Hugs between humans and those equine ministers of ours. And hugs between horses. That "thing" that you can't touch but you sure can see - the feeling of the place. All because someone set a challenge out there for me to make a difference in someone's life with a rejected little horse.

Thank you, my dear Andy, for changing my life. For creating that challenge which set me out on this journey. I am forever indebted to you and expect you are smiling down on me and my efforts. Bless you for giving to me the greatest gift of all - your confidence.

And so with that gift from Andy, I freely give to you these ministers here at Refuge Farms. These remarkable horses! Each recover - as we all are! - from life's trials and events. Each doing their best - as we all are! - to live each day, not just survive! These horses showing us on a daily basis what forgiveness and trueness and persistence look like! Come and visit with these horses and with us! Find and share the Magic! Smell a bit like horse when you go! And know the peace and loyalty and caring of what it is we do. We heal. Everyday. Every chance we get.

Blessings to you all for your gifts in 2005 whatever they may have been! We begin 2006 with a smile and the continued determination to make a difference!

Enjoy the numbers and the journey of each and every day,
A Most Grateful Sandy and a Most Healing Herd



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?