Sunday, April 01, 2007

 

A Horse's Prayer


This poem is offered to you in gracious honor of, in complete awe and in total respect of, and in consuming adoration and soul-felt compassionate love of The Great Ones: Miss Bonita, Big Jim, DukeDuke, Slim the Giant, and, of course, Jerry, the Roan Horse. May their lessons be burned in our hearts and their spirits be forever amongst us and buried deep within us!


To thee Master, I offer my prayer -

Feed me, water and care for me, and when the day is done, provide me with shelter, and a clean dry bed to lie down in.

Please be kind to me. Talk to me. Your friendly voice soothes me and brings me comfort. Pet me and brush me often, that I may serve you more gladly and learn to love and trust you.

Watch me, for I am unable to tell you when I am not well, or that something is wrong. So watch me, that by signs you may know my condition. Give me shelter from a storm or the sweltering heat of the day and a blanket on a cold winter’s night.


I do my best to carry you and your burdens without complaint, and patiently wait for your return. Please don’t be angry with me if I question what it is that you want me to do. Just try and understand my world as I must try to understand yours.





Finally, O Master, when my useful strength is gone, do not turn me out alone to fend for myself, or send me to some unknown fate, but do thou, my Master, take my life in the kindest way. And may God reward you for caring enough to see me to the end.


All I ask are these few things, in the name of Him, who was born in a stable. Amen.


by L. Voskuil Dutter



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?